• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Infringement if I copy ideas from a health related book and sell in my own words?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wsamon

Illinois

Hi,

Would I run into any legal copyright infringement problems if I copied the content from an information product that is copyrighted (it is a health related ebook on how to cure constipation), but then re-wrote it in my own words then sold it? The steps (and techniques for each step) to solving the problem would be the same, but simply in my own writing and in my own product.

Basically there are 10 steps to solving constipation in the ebook and I want to rewrite it in my own words and publish the ideas in my own ebook and sell it.

Nothing would be copied and pasted, but the ideas and steps would be the same. Can I run into problems for this?

Thanks!

FlyingRon

Barring some patent on the process, just taking the steps and writing your own book would not have a copyright issue. However, it's not the case that you can just take their book and paraphrase it (if that's what you mean by putting it in your own words) and expect to get by.

wsamon

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Sorry, I was a little confused by your answer. There is no patent on the process.

But yes what I meant was I would paraphrase the steps in my own words (in my own writing) and then publish my own book. Would I run into problems going this route?

Thanks!

wsamon

Hi FlyingRon,

Thanks for your quick response. Really appreciate it.

I understand what you are saying now. Thanks for the clarification.

Then I would assume it is safe to say that if I take ideas and strategies from *multiple* sources - not just 1 (which are not patented), but picked and choose them and put them into my own book - basically my own set of tips and strategies then it would not be an issue of infringement?

For example, one idea from one book (the book may have 10 ideas), 2 ideas from another book (the book may have 20 ideas) and so forth then it would not be infringement if put all together in my own book.

FlyingRon

Ideas are not protected by copyright.
The expression is.

I can, for example come up with suggestions like "Think win/win", "Put first things first,", ... and that's OK to write a book about. If I follow the expression that Steven Covey lays his "Seven Habits" out I will run afoul of infringement. I can't even use "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" in pushing my book for he has a trademark on that for his books and training.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">