• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Trademark Infringement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garrzilla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I have a question about an international trademark. I am starting an indie game development company and wondering if I could get sued If I use the same name as a different company in the UK. I searched the UK trademark site and didn't find it there, but on their twitter account, its the exact same name I want to use.

If you need to know the exact name for the company let me know.

FlyingRon

You can certainly get into trouble if your markets overlap. While there are differences between US and UK trademark law, let point out that REGISTRATION is not required in either country to have a defensible mark. If you bring your mark into the same customer space in a way that will likely cause confusion, you will run afoul of the common law trademark rights in either country.

UK law here: http://www.thelawforum.co.uk

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">