• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Business Idea - Copyright?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

michaelohara

I am a UK resident and I have an idea for an internet based business.

However, in my research I have found that there is one other site in the US which already operates on a similar basis (the business idea is the same but the way in which they charge is slightly different to what I hade in mind).

Is there any law (I have itellectual copyright in mind) that prohibits me from developing a website which offers the same service (albeit with a different method of charging)?

D

du_nomad

You can't copyright a service or process. Specific forms, advertisements, etc. may be copyrighted by the other company, but to offer the same (or similar) service is called "free market competition" . . .

T

T-DESIGNER

I am not an attorney, but I can read the fine print at the
bottom of this forum's web page, where parts of it reads:

"....Use of the Forums is subject to our Terms and Conditions
which prohibit advertisements, solicitations or other commercial
messages, or false, defamatory, abusive, vulgar, or harassing
messages, and subject violators to fees for improper postings."

C

counsel

New business methods may be PATENTED. If the competitor has not patented the idea, then you can run your website as long as you have not copied a significant amount of the text on the website, any of the pictures on the website, or other EXPRESSIONS of ideas contained on the website (i.e. COPYRIGHT infringement). Finally, if you use a domain name or business name which is similar to the competitor's, that might constitute TRADEMARK infringement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">