• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue regarding the music legality

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueperspective

Hi everyone.
I found this communit via Google and I was interesting about finding some answers regarding my problem.
I do have a web space and I want to know if it is legally to put an .mp3 file on my website JUST FOR LISTENING ? No download link.. just a player that loads the song and anyone could listen to it. I have to mention that I buy the song,legally, from specific websites (beatport, junodownload, iTunes and so on).
Hope to get a pro answer as soon as possible.
Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I also asked on Yahoo ASK about this problem and received the next answer:
"yes you can legally do that. You can't legally allow people to download it without buying it. You could always leave a link to direct listener's where they can go to buy it if they like it. It's no different than putting a CD in your CD player and telling someone to listen to a song playing because you like it...besides, it helps to pormote the artist. That's how a lot of people learn about artists by word of mouth or hearing it."
[ Romania, not only US law.. I need it globally. ]

Last edited:

FlyingRon

We can only deal with US law here.

The advice you quoted is complete nonsense. You CAN NOT put up music as even background music to your sight without paying for the rights / permission to do so. For most non-download, not-interactive playing you can get this permission by obtaining and paying for a license with the appropriate PRO such as ASCAP ... see there site ASCAP.COM for TONS of information on these topics.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">