• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lecture Notes copying: copyright infringement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

henrij

I live in Toronto, Canada. However, my question is general:

Is it prohibited to copy the lecture notes of my professors, which they write on the board, and then post those in a website or so for other students who attend the same course can get use of this later on? Or is this considered copyright infringement?

The website I post in is an educational website which says NO PLAGIARISM, so I wanted to make sure I am not doing anything against the laws of copyrights.

The notes are sometimes exactly the same language of the professor (as he writes it on board), and sometimes a combination of my own language + professor's.

Please advise.

Please note that I am not posting assignments solutions or anything against the regulations of the university, just the lecture notes or useful information for students regarding the course.

Thanks.

Mass_Shyster

I live in Toronto, Canada. However, my question is general:

Is it prohibited to copy the lecture notes of my professors, which they write on the board, and then post those in a website or so for other students who attend the same course can get use of this later on? Or is this considered copyright infringement?

The website I post in is an educational website which says NO PLAGIARISM, so I wanted to make sure I am not doing anything against the laws of copyrights.

The notes are sometimes exactly the same language of the professor (as he writes it on board), and sometimes a combination of my own language + professor's.

Please advise.

Please note that I am not posting assignments solutions or anything against the regulations of the university, just the lecture notes or useful information for students regarding the course.

Thanks.
If this were to happen in the US, the professors class notes surely would be protected by copyright law.

You should also be concerned with repercussions from the school if they don't want you doing that.

I suggest asking the professor for permission to post these notes on your website. That way you have both bases covered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">