• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wbrdly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I want to start a publication of local arrests in my city. I live in a small town, but have seen these papers called Just Busted in other counties in TN, and would like to start one here. Would it be legal to start a similiar paper under a different name?

germai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

I want to start a publication of local arrests in my city. I live in a small town, but have seen these papers called Just Busted in other counties in TN, and would like to start one here. Would it be legal to start a similiar paper under a different name?
You should probably consider the whole innocent until proven guilty theme. Putting pictures up of arrested people without their consent and before they are given a trial would be suspect imo.

Some Random Guy

You should probably consider the whole innocent until proven guilty theme. Putting pictures up of arrested people without their consent and before they are given a trial would be suspect imo.
Actually, it happens all of the time. See The Smoking Gun: Public Documents, Mug Shots which posts 20+ pictures per week.

Your main concerns should be in not editing or embellishing the facts of the arrest beyond what the police department releases. Search this site for "booking photo" for some threads relevant to your situation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">