• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to Produce Drivers License Hologram Replicates for Security?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sleazy

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I have a general question about a possible business that I am not sure whether it is illegal or not.

If someone was to produce lamination pouches that replicated the holograms used in certain states on drivers licenses, would this be an illegal activity if they were sold for the sole intention of security for such businesses as bars, etc to spot fake ids? Or is it just assumed they will/could be used for fake ids and therefore be an illegal product also even though it is only the laminate pouch with hologram. There are such sites as .http://www.cryogenictech.com that sells these products and I was wondering if what they are doing is legal or illegal. is there some specific law that they are using to not have criminal suits filled against them or some sort of things they must avoid? Any legal knowledge would be great, thanks in advance.

racer72

Possession of anything that can be used to decieve or alter a legal identification card or make a fake identifcation card appear legal is against the law. It will not be your local cops knocking on the door either, it will be the FBI. Also, the products they sell are not the ones states are currently using. The one shown for my state has not been used in a couple years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">