• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal to Use Trademarked name is similar field?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ativ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hi, there is a trademark on the word "womp" for " Short-sleeved or long-sleeved t-shirts". I am trying to start a pocket t-shirt ONLY brand, called womp would this apply to short sleeved tshirt because its not very descriptive to specific types unless it just means all types of t-shirts including tanks?

THANKS!

quincy

If you know the word "womp" has been trademarked by a short-and-long-sleeved tee shirt company, you would be smart to create a different name to identify your own tee shirts, shirts or clothing products.

I suggest you visit the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website at http://www.uspto.gov for more information on trademarks, and I suggest you have a professional in your area review your business plans prior to implementing them.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

First, a pocket T shirt is almost certainly either a short or long sleeved T shirt so it sounds like you are directly infringing on their product.

Then as Q says, even if they have a mark for T shirts and you're making some other article of clothing, you're in close enough markets that there is a likelihood of confusion.

Get another mark.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">