• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of recording audio over internet

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aditya.us

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I have an account with lala.com. Lala.com has 2 pricing models. You can buy a web copy of the song for 10cents which means you stream the song every time though the internet. The 2nd option is that you buy a DRM-free mp3 of the songs between 89cents and $1.29.

I have some software called "Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition Analog Recorder". It has the ability to record any sound that comes out of the speakers on the computer and then will convert them to a music file.

Currently I purchase web songs from Lala.com for 10 cents each.

Would it be legal for me to record the web song with Analog Recorder while I'm listening to it and then put that music file on my ipod? I wouldn't be sharing it with anyone.

How about downloading a music video of a song with some YouTube downloading software. Would that be legal?

Could I legally record a internet radio station like Pandora?

Thanks

FlyingRon

All the sites have terms of service that layout what you can do. You are not purchasing the "webSong" version of the song. Making a copy of it as it is streamed to you is illegal.

Pandora explicitly forbids it as well.

divgradcurl

Look up 17 U.S.C. 1008. It's generally legal to make recordings for private, noncommercial use. The particular service you are using may have a contractual agreement that limits what you can do, but you are generally clear under copyright law. You might also want to read RIAA v. Diamond Multimedia.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">