• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License plate frame slogans?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

Number 6

This is a California question...

Can a slogan on a license plate frame be copyrighted or trademarked?

We are planning on making a license plate frame that is the same as an old, no longer produced frame that, to the best of our knowledge has not and cannot be either trademarked or copyrighted.

The format is: (think license plate frame here...)

Name of City

I Love the (City's Initials) Life...

According to the chamber of commerce in this town, they would love to carry these plates but have been threatened with legal action by the plate's former makers...

help!

kaye

HomeGuru

Number 6 said:
This is a California question...

Can a slogan on a license plate frame be copyrighted or trademarked?

We are planning on making a license plate frame that is the same as an old, no longer produced frame that, to the best of our knowledge has not and cannot be either trademarked or copyrighted.

The format is: (think license plate frame here...)

Name of City

I Love the (City's Initials) Life...

According to the chamber of commerce in this town, they would love to carry these plates but have been threatened with legal action by the plate's former makers...

help!

kaye

**A: then the answer is yes.

N

Number 6

home guru...

ok... i'm not sure what you mean by your answer...

can you expand a bit?

by the way, i've done both a copyright and a trademark search and find nothing even remotely close to the slogan. he can't copyright the name of the city obviously so the slogan is the only thing in question. my reading of copyright law says slogans can't be copyrighted.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">