• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Licensing out a registered trademark and product idea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LeoMan

Dear Lawyer, Sir or Madam,

I'm Leonard M., professional writer, journalist and composer. I just registered a trademark pertaining to my new food product idea - the name and design of the container. Previously I registered my text, music and audio of the commercial for the prospective product with the Library of Congress Copyright Office.
Now I found actual manufacturers who are willing to license this idea, name and commercial from me. What is the right way to "rent them out"? Can they steal the name of my product registered under specific International Class and register it under different class?

Thank you in advance for your advice!

FlyingRon

Copyright protects only the artistic representation of a work (the commercial, your music, ad text). It does nothing to protect a name or product idea. The product name is protected by trademark rights. You get trademark rights by use in commerce (which you appear not to have done). Did you actually register the mark (with the US Patent and Trademark Office) as you imply in your title? Also neither copyright nor trademark protect the "idea" of the product.

The way to "rent" the material out is to issue a license. Crafting the license is a bit beyond the scope of an online advice forum. You should consult a lawyer that specializes in intellectual property.

quincy

Dear Lawyer, Sir or Madam,

I'm Leonard M., professional writer, journalist and composer. I just registered a trademark pertaining to my new food product idea - the name and design of the container. Previously I registered my text, music and audio of the commercial for the prospective product with the Library of Congress Copyright Office.
Now I found actual manufacturers who are willing to license this idea, name and commercial from me. What is the right way to "rent them out"? Can they steal the name of my product registered under specific International Class and register it under different class?

Thank you in advance for your advice!
I agree with all that FlyingRon said if you are in the United States. What is the name of your state or, if not in the U.S., what is the name of your country?

Ideas on their own cannot be copyrighted. Once an idea is expressed in tangible form, as your text and music and commercial have been, then you can register the copyrights in the works. Copyrights are registered with the U.S. Copyright Office (if in the U.S.). See http://www.copyright.gov for more information.

The "design" of the container could be protected under copyright, trademark and/or patent laws - or, perhaps, receive no protection at all. It depends on the container.

A trademark can be registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office once there is use of the trademark in commerce - although you can file an "Intent to Use" application if you intend to use the mark in the near future. For trademark laws, see http://www.uspto.gov.

A trademark identifies your business, product or service and there can be other businesses, products or services that have either established rights in the same name already or that can use and/or register and use the same name for their business, product or service without interfering with your own rights to the name. It depends on all of the facts.

In the U.S., it is the use of the trademark in commerce that confers rights in the mark, with the first to use the mark considered the owner of the mark (under most circumstances). In other countries, it is the first to register the mark who will own in the mark (under most circumstances). As with anything in law, it will depend on the specific facts.

Licenses to use copyrighted material can provide either exclusive rights or non-exclusive rights to the material. Basically a license is permission granted by the owner of the rights to another to use the material in a specific way as outlined in the license. These licenses can be structured to meet the needs or wants of both parties.

Any license that is granting exclusive rights to material needs to be in writing and signed by the rights-holder and should be recorded with the U.S. Copyright Office. Non-exclusive rights, on the other hand, can be as simple as oral permission given by the copyright holder to another (for example, to use the material for a limited time or in a limited way). It is always smart to have all agreements of any kind in writing and signed by the parties involved, however, to avoid potential disputes over the terms of the agreement later on.

Because your questions indicate you are not familiar with, or at least not comfortable with, intellectual property laws, and because you are apparently starting a new business, I think you would be smart to sit down with an attorney in your area who is.

One final note: A journalist is also a professional writer.

Last edited:

LeoMan

Thank you! I have one more question...

Hello! I cordially appreciate both answers, from FlyingRon and Quincy. Let me be more specific. I live in the US, in Seattle, WA.
The idea of the product and first use in commerce are dated back to 1993. I put this project aside for many years but now I regret about it... So, I decided to go ahead again. Since then I registered a new name that I came up with, text, music and actual audiotrack of the commercial with the Library of Congress Copyright office. It took me over 1,5 years to register my trademark and container design. Now I own them.
Since it would be a pretty hard business to produce the product myself, I decided to license the name of it, design and commercial to existing companies that make similar goods. To make it clear: I will be licensing ONLY the name, design and commercial. What product to label - it would be up to the manufacturer.
MY QUESTION:
Depending on the size of the business that would make product under my trademark, use design and commercial, how much I should charge them for licensing? Let's say, for one year? Is there any fee scale that I can take as an example?
Many thanks in advance for your help! Standing by for response...
Sincerely,
Leonard.

P.S. It was very interesting to find out that journalist is considered to be the same as writer. On one hand, yes, but... In Russia, where I was born and graduated from university as journalist, we had two separate departments - faculty of Journalism and faculty of Literature. While students-journalists would study specifics of the Radio, TV, printed media, technology, etc., others would learn history of the world literature: prose, poetry and everything pertaining to this side of writing business. But, of course, in general people do what they are capable of according to their talent.

quincy

... To make it clear: I will be licensing ONLY the name, design and commercial. What product to label - it would be up to the manufacturer.
MY QUESTION:
Depending on the size of the business that would make product under my trademark, use design and commercial, how much I should charge them for licensing? Let's say, for one year? Is there any fee scale that I can take as an example?
Many thanks in advance for your help! Standing by for response...
Sincerely,
Leonard.

P.S. It was very interesting to find out that journalist is considered to be the same as writer. On one hand, yes, but... In Russia, where I was born and graduated from university as journalist, we had two separate departments - faculty of Journalism and faculty of Literature. While students-journalists would study specifics of the Radio, TV, printed media, technology, etc., others would learn history of the world literature: prose, poetry and everything pertaining to this side of writing business. But, of course, in general people do what they are capable of according to their talent.
To address your "p.s." first - When you write professionally (i.e., earn a living from writing), you are considered a professional writer, whether you are writing as a journalist, a novelist, a poet, a technical writer, some of the above, or all of the above. Some of the best novelists in the world have had no college degree at all, so education is not a necessary definer of professional writer - although of the types of writers, it is generally the case that a journalist will have a degree in journalism.

As to licensing and how much you should charge - that is a something you as trademark owner and licensor must decide for yourself, based in part on what sort of agreement you can come to with your licensee. A review of all facts of your business and of the party you are contracting with would be needed to determine reasonable licensing fees.

A caveat: You must be very careful in drafting your license agreement so that you do not give up more rights to the trademark than you intend and potentially wind up losing control over the mark.

You would be wise to, and I strongly advise that you, discuss your wants and needs with an IP attorney in your area.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">