• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Local lawyer or online, flat fee srvc?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

frustratedcadad

I live in California USA. Interested in registering a trademark for a new consumer product in development. We are a small start-up organization and need to move fairly quickly on this project. Unsure if I should use a local, referred trademark lawyer, or one of the many online "flat rate trademark law services" that are out there (pending good quality review). As I mentioned, I need to move relatively quickly and waiting a week for an appt may be prohibitive, although I value the face-to-face. But the online services seem to have a streamlined approach and will complete the filing for you. Our product is not complicated and seems straight forward (to us).

We would appreciate some feedback from the community from anyone who could compare or have used the online sources. Thank you in advance.

tranquility

I live in California USA. Interested in registering a trademark for a new consumer product in development. We are a small start-up organization and need to move fairly quickly on this project. Unsure if I should use a local, referred trademark lawyer, or one of the many online "flat rate trademark law services" that are out there (pending good quality review). As I mentioned, I need to move relatively quickly and waiting a week for an appt may be prohibitive, although I value the face-to-face. But the online services seem to have a streamlined approach and will complete the filing for you. Our product is not complicated and seems straight forward (to us).

We would appreciate some feedback from the community from anyone who could compare or have used the online sources. Thank you in advance.
It depends on what the search turns up.

tranquility

Can you be more specific? I don't understand your statement.
http://trademark.patentattorneycionca.com/trademarkprocess/trademarkregistrationoverview.htm
The first step, in the typical registration process of a trademark, is conducting a trademark search. A trademark search is a search of various trademark databases for the purpose of identifying identical or potentially similar/conflicting trademarks, their status, and their owners. The reliability of the trademark search results depends on the number and the quality of the databases searched, and on the search techniques used (wild cards, Boolean operators, phonetic searches, etc).

Is a trademark search needed? For most businesses, whether they are for-profit or non-profit, the answer is yes. It is wise to decide to invest in a business name, product or service name (or logo) only after you have a comfortable degree of certainty that the name or the logo is yours. Or at least, you should know the trademark risk you assume, before spending money and other resources with the registration of a particular trademark and its promotion through marketing.

What's the risk of not conducting a trademark search? That is what is called trademark risk. Trademark risk is the risk that someone else already applied for, or registered the same or a similar trademark, which may result in the registration being denied by the USPTO and the loss of the filing fees, among other things. In addition, it is the risk that someone else can claim rights in your trademark, or even worse, that someone else can claim superior rights to yours. If someone else can claim rights in your trademark, obviously your trademark is a weak mark. Furthermore, if someone else has begun using the trademark before you did, he is a senior user, and therefore, he may have superior rights in the trademark. A senior user may force you to stop using the trademark, and may sue you for trademark infringement. This is especially true when the senior user has the financial means to do so (e.g., a large corporation, etc).

Therefore, a trademark search should be conducted, preferably, before starting to use the trademark in commerce or before applying for registration, whichever occurs first. The scope of the search depends primarily on the budget available to the trademark owner. In other words, the scope of the search is a question of how much security the trademark owner can buy upfront.

The results of the trademark search are analyzed by a trademark attorney and in the opinion letter the registrability of the trademark is assessed so that the applicant can make an informed decision whether or not to proceed with registration.
http://brandmakernews.com/business-brand/2620/trademark-202-your-step-by-step-guide.html
7. When launching a small business should entrepreneurs pay for a name search, or can they just check uspto.gov to make sure their intended business name is available?

Yes. A name search is always recommended prior to filing a trademark application. It can save the entrepreneur money in the long run as stated above. While it is necessary to check the USPTO database, some businesses may be using the same or confusingly similar mark and may have “common law” rights in the name. (Common law rights in a mark are rights given to the owner of a mark through use of the mark in commerce.)

For example, XYZ Bakery has been operating in California for over 10 years and is well known in the state but has not filed a trademark application with the USPTO. XYZ-1 Bakery wants to open its business in Texas and wants to take their business nationwide. XYZ-1 files a trademark application without a name search. XYZ-1 runs the risk of XYZ filing an opposition to the trademark application and not being able to expand its business into California because of the common law rights in the name owned by XYZ Bakery.

frustratedcadad

Maybe I should have included that from the beginning. It seems like that would be the first step of course, everything else is moot if the name is already registered and being used. This is not the case with our name; a search was already conducted and it is open.

tranquility

It's not just the matter of the name. But, if you're sure there is no risk, why not use a flat fee. My friend does a great job at doing such things. It's just, that if there is a problem or if there is going to be a fight, he would not be the type of person to go to. While he does a good search, he doesn't really go to maybe's and however's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">