• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Logo Usage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lyoncourt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
California

I designed a logo for a homebrew business that I briefly participated in. However, the paperwork has been filed and backhanded actions were committed by the other party. My name is not on any of the paperwork and I am no longer included in the conduction of business. Since I no longer have any ties, legal or otherwise, to this business, and I never was compensated for my design work, nor did I ever grant them permission to use my logo that I designed, I was wondering if there was anything I could do about this? I don't really want my artwork tied to someone who is a liar and conducts poor business. Is it worth taking any sort of action? Or is there a way I can have the law slap them on the wrist? Am I even justified in thinking that I own the rights to this art and I was never compensated for its usage or gave permission to them? They don't even have the original files...they are just reusing the same low-resolution jpg off the myspace I also started.

Thanks for your time and input. :)

FlyingRon

Your claims are weak here. If you designed the logo in the course of operating the business, it would be harder to argue that you have individual copyright to the logo. Trademark rights won't apply here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">