• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Logo usage in album artwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Apmusic

I'm in Illinois.
My question is this. I'm a musician currently writing an album entitled "canvas shoes" and I created a logo based on the converse chuck Taylor logo. The text is all changed but the majority of the logo design is similar. This album is clearly not a competing product. does the fact that I borrowed design elements fall under fair use or is it trademark infringement?

FlyingRon

Converse is likely to argue that there is still a liklihood of confusion or dilution of their famous mark. **** owns them now and they've been pretty aggressive. Putting circles on the side of the shoes is probably safe. Using a STAR in the circle, even without the words Converse, Chuck Taylor, or All Star, probably is asking for trouble.

quincy

I'm in Illinois.
My question is this. I'm a musician currently writing an album entitled "canvas shoes" and I created a logo based on the converse chuck Taylor logo. The text is all changed but the majority of the logo design is similar. This album is clearly not a competing product. does the fact that I borrowed design elements fall under fair use or is it trademark infringement?
Since last year alone, Converse has filed 22 trademark infringement lawsuits against 31 companies. They are not shy, in other words, about taking legal action against those using their famous logo without their authorization.

Although a music album is obviously not a shoe, when you use a famous trademark for your own product or service, or one that is confusingly similar to a famous trademark, the owner of the famous mark can prevent its use - through a cease and desist notice, through an injunction, through a seizure and/or destruction of all unauthorized products bearing the mark, and through damages awarded for profits gained by the infringer or through losses suffered as a result of the infringement. Other remedies may be available.

A likelihood of consumer confusion exists because a famous mark by its nature is one that has become connected in consumers minds with one company. Consumers see the mark and recognize who owns it. Consumers could easily believe that your music album is affiliated with, sponsored by or in some way connected with Converse. There is really no way to avoid this.

If you want to avoid a lawsuit, you should seek permission to use the logo - or you could use a generic canvas shoe - or you could create your own unique logo. Or you could take the logo you created based on the famous Chuck Taylor Converse mark to an IP attorney in your area for a personal review and opinion.

Good luck.

FlyingRon

I'm not sure why the forum thinks N i k e is a dirty word (other than people tend to spam the forums for tennis shoes).

quincy

I'm not sure why the forum thinks N i k e is a dirty word (other than people tend to spam the forums for tennis shoes).
Spam is the reason.

The filtering of the N ike name was at N ike's request. This happened during the time a few years ago that many counterfeiters were spamming FreeAdvice to advertise their illegal wares. N ike and other trademark holders were directed to this site after being notified of the infringing goods advertised and these companies were able to take legal action against a few of the counterfeiters they were able to identify (with the help of the FBI).

I use Adidas or Converse for my examples now when I can, just to avoid having to come up with new ways to write N!ke that the spam filter won't ****. :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">