• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lucky numbers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Apostolos

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington‎

I want to use the lucky numbers of a national lottery for my own lottery. Is this illegal?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington‎

I want to use the lucky numbers of a national lottery for my own lottery. Is this illegal?
I do not understand your question. Are you talking about the numbers themselves or the process for selecting the numbers?

Apostolos

A lottery is supposed to be random.
First of all, i would like to thank you for your prompt answer. The lottery ticket would be the same with the national lottery. I will not make any draw for my lottery, i would adopt the lucky numbers of the national lottery. The winners of my lottery would be the players who choose the lucky numbers which have drawn from the national lottery.

Apostolos

I do not understand your question. Are you talking about the numbers themselves or the process for selecting the numbers?
First of all, i would like to thank you for your prompt answer. I mean both of them. The lottery ticket would be the same with the national lottery. I will not make any draw for my lottery, i would adopt the lucky numbers of the national lottery. The winners of my lottery would be the players who choose the lucky numbers which have drawn from the national lottery.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First of all, i would like to thank you for your prompt answer. I mean both of them. The lottery ticket would be the same with the national lottery. I will not make any draw for my lottery, i would adopt the lucky numbers of the national lottery. The winners of my lottery would be the players who choose the lucky numbers which have drawn from the national lottery.
Your scheme is illegal.

quincy

Okay. Well, I still have no clue what you intend to do with the national lottery numbers. All I am getting from your description of use is that you want to give money to those who are also national lottery winners - and, because this does not make sense :), you should probably have your plans reviewed by an attorney in Washington.

Numbers cannot be copyright or patent protected on their own (although some numbers could potentially be protected under trademark law). It would be the designs on lottery tickets or possibly the process used for selection that could be rights-protected.

edit to add: I will accept Zigner's assessment that what you intend to do is illegal, only because he seems to understand what it is you intend to do. :D

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
edit to add: I will accept Zigner's assessment that what you intend to do is illegal, only because he seems to understand what it is you intend to do. :D
He wants to run his own lottery, but instead of generating his own numbers, he's going to use the numbers that are generated by the "national lottery" of some other country.

quincy

He wants to run his own lottery, but instead of generating his own numbers, he's going to use the numbers that are generated by the "national lottery" of some other country.
Ahhh. I agree with your assessment, then. :)

Apostolos

That’s exactly I am going to do! Please, could you be more specific why is this illegal? :(
Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">