• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

making pitty review website

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kitty1981

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hey hey,
so here's the deal that I hope you can help me with.

I am thinking (seriously) about making a review website for pit bull breeders in the usa, and I was wanting to post pictures somehow of their animals that they use to breed. The male and the female produce puppies for $XXX. That way people looking for a good pitty breeder can check out the website, look at the reviews, and then click on the links to see the breeding male and female.

I can't just save the pictures and post them on my website because that would be stealing their pictures. I thought about posting a link to their (public) facebook picture like this (https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/946158_1291959627496146_7281363934289546638_n.jpg?oh=d9e9e7f7331ead5ca98a4cf4865ed892&oe=56FF3917) that way it's straight up going to THEIR picture that they currently have posted for the world to see. I just have a link on my website to that picture. (The picture is just an example from my local pitty rescue) which wouldn't infringe on any copyrights right???

I liked that route until I realized that facebook links expire after just two weeks! Any ways to get around that?

I thought about using a screen shot of them posting their animal publicly and posting this on my review website with a disclaimer of sorts that would tell the readers that that picture is copyrighted to the breeder and not to the website.

I was wondering if screenshots fall under Fair Use? Wouldn't it fall under commentary and criticism?? I'm getting different sides from google, both yay and nay. I would not be making any money from this website either.

Seeing as this would be a review website I would bank on breeders getting mad they are on it, which isn't my intention but I feel the public needs a pitty breeder review website because of how many people I see showing off their new pit bull when it's very clearly an american bull dog and they really got schnuckered. I've even seen someone show off their pure bred pit bull from a breeder and the mother of the dog looks like a 100% Boxer!

So I haven't put my website up yet because I'm still feeling things out. Especially this.

Thanks for all your help!

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Hey hey,
so here's the deal that I hope you can help me with.

I am thinking (seriously) about making a review website for pit bull breeders in the usa, and I was wanting to post pictures somehow of their animals that they use to breed. The male and the female produce puppies for $XXX. That way people looking for a good pitty breeder can check out the website, look at the reviews, and then click on the links to see the breeding male and female.

I can't just save the pictures and post them on my website because that would be stealing their pictures. I thought about posting a link to their (public) facebook picture like this (https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/946158_1291959627496146_7281363934289546638_n.jpg?oh=d9e9e7f7331ead5ca98a4cf4865ed892&oe=56FF3917) that way it's straight up going to THEIR picture that they currently have posted for the world to see. I just have a link on my website to that picture. (The picture is just an example from my local pitty rescue) which wouldn't infringe on any copyrights right???

I liked that route until I realized that facebook links expire after just two weeks! Any ways to get around that?

I thought about using a screen shot of them posting their animal publicly and posting this on my review website with a disclaimer of sorts that would tell the readers that that picture is copyrighted to the breeder and not to the website.

I was wondering if screenshots fall under Fair Use? Wouldn't it fall under commentary and criticism?? I'm getting different sides from google, both yay and nay. I would not be making any money from this website either.

Seeing as this would be a review website I would bank on breeders getting mad they are on it, which isn't my intention but I feel the public needs a pitty breeder review website because of how many people I see showing off their new pit bull when it's very clearly an american bull dog and they really got schnuckered. I've even seen someone show off their pure bred pit bull from a breeder and the mother of the dog looks like a 100% Boxer!

So I haven't put my website up yet because I'm still feeling things out. Especially this.

Thanks for all your help!
You can post reviews and write out the URL so that people can visit the breeder's website to see the pictures. In other words, you do not have to use live links to their sites.

I do not recommend you use screenshots or photos you did not take yourself. I would also avoid saying anything in your reviews that cannot be proved true (e.g., do not identify a dog as a boxer unless you are an expert and/or can prove it is a boxer).

I suggest you have liability insurance enough to cover any lawsuit that might arise from your website's content. Disclaimers cannot prevent a lawsuit. Disclaimers can only work to mitigate damages in the event of a lawsuit loss.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I enjoy changing pictures to something a bit risqué when people improperly link to my content.

Here in the Southeast US, some of the breeders specializing in the breeding and selling of pitbulls are active in the illegal dogfighting world. Even though they may publically post their pitbull photos on some venues, they may not want nor appreciate the extra publicity. If you do decide to do this, please make sure that there is absolutely no way they will find out who you are and where you live for your own safety. If you do see any evidence of possible dogfighting, please report it to the local authorities and to the HSUS Dogfighting Tip Line...

quincy

Here in the Southeast US, some of the breeders specializing in the breeding and selling of pitbulls are active in the illegal dogfighting world. Even though they may publically post their pitbull photos on some venues, they may not want nor appreciate the extra publicity. If you do decide to do this, please make sure that there is absolutely no way they will find out who you are and where you live for your own safety. If you do see any evidence of possible dogfighting, please report it to the local authorities and to the HSUS Dogfighting Tip Line...
It is not only in the Southeast that pit bulls are bred and sold for dogfighting. Detroit Humane Society workers recently rescued a large number of young pit bulls from a home, where they were found chained and badly injured. Many of the dogs will need to be euthanized as recovery and rehabilitation seem unlikely.

There are problems that come with any "review" website, with a major problem being defamatory reviews. Bad or critical reviews are difficult to write without straying from fact and pure opinion (which is okay) to exaggerations, generalizations, falsehoods and defamation (which is not okay).

I have only thought about the legal risks one takes with review websites and never thought about the possible physical-safety risks before now - but you are right, coolmaltese. It is something to consider.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">