• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marketing Through Compiled Databases... Copyright Infringement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

meezermania

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I am the webmaster of a site and the president of a company, Meezer Mania, LLC, set-up for that site (http://www.meezermania.com).

Recently I decided that I am interested in expanding the company, and adding an entirely new site, which will be a database of advertisements from breeders (dog, cat, etc.). I started collecting Names, Web Site URL's, and E-mail Addresses from breeders I find on the internet, with plans to e-mail them about the new site I'm beginning.

My question is...

I came across a site of a list of cat breeders with their e-mail addresses and web site URL's. However, the web site has a notice that their database is copyrighted and I'm not allowed to get anyone else's e-mail address from their site without permission from the owner of the site.

Is this legally enforcable? I understand that by doing this I will be violating their Terms of Service, and therefore give them the right to deny me access to the site, however, can I face criminal or civil penalities for taking e-mail addresses from their site?

I don't understand how a person can tell me I'm not allowed to e-mail someone just because I found this e-mail address on the person's site.

Thanks for your help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">