• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Martial Art School & Trademarks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KevinPBarker

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I have attended a Martial Art school for several years. I earned my Third degree black belt. After some conflict, I left the school and started my own dojo. The name of my school is differnt from the school I use to attend. I only used thier school name when referring to where I got my training.
Six months later, my former teacher sold the school and his trademark. The new owner has a contract with the former owner stating that no one can use the name even for reference perposes without paying him royalties.
My question is, can't I use the schools name when I inform people of where I got my training and qualifications? Can't I tell them that I trained at Mr. X's Acadamy, and got my third degree black belt? He even told me that I can not display my diploma's with out giving him royalites on them.
He also claims that since I trained there, and he bought the school I attended, and he bought the style (which is unique to only that school) that I am part of his franchise. Is that possible? Or is he just trying to get money out of me.
Also in his contract, it states that he is the only school allowed of that style in that county. But I started my school before this contract was signed. Am I covered under grandfather clause?

racer72

Unless any contracts you signed before or while attending the school state these limitations, you can tell the guy to go pack sand. You would be under no contract stipulations and from what you described, there definitely is no evidence of any copyright violations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">