• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

May have picture infringement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BuffStuff

Missouri:
Apparently a friend copied pictures of some dogs from a website and posted them on ebay classified as her own dogs for sale. On my computer and my email address. Now the real owners of the dogs have emailed me saying that they have a p.i. and are going to pursue legal action. I emailed them back explaining and apologizing, but seriously I'm terrified. I already have no money, what would this do to me?

I entered the people who emailed me email address and found their website. I compared the pictures on the website to the ones from the ad and they are not the same. I found the website that has the pictures. Apparently they either own both or somehow related, they have a link to each other on their sites.

Also there is no notice of copyright on either page. Am I just hopeful thinking?

FlyingRon

They're idiots. They should ditch the PI and get a lawyer instead.
First off, all they had to do is contact ebay and ebay would have removed the listing, and ratted out all your registration information (real name, address, phone numbers, etc...). Wouldn't have cost them a cent for a PI (if they were really stupid enough to do that).

Notice of copyright is not necessary to have copyright.

Frankly, I'd pull down the listing (if it's not gone already), let them know that, and otherwise ignore them. It's easy to threaten legal action, but in fact, it costs money and given the chance to recover much from you may dissuade them from trying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">