• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mistakenly filed copyright claim on youtube, which was retracted.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kat54

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
North Carolina

I mistakenly thought a local newspaper had used my video, but it looks like we recorded the same event, and individuals at the same time. Thinking the video was mine, I filed a copyright complaint with youtube. After being contacted by the local newspaper, and informed that they had their own video, I quickly retracted the claim, and informed them that I had done so, with my apologies. But by then, they already had their video restored to youtube. What are the legal ramifications for myself?

Even though the local newspaper had not indicated they were seeking legal action for the claim on the very similar videos, should I be prepared for a lawsuit by hiring an attorney?

The Occultist

My advice: wait and see if you actually are contacted by a legal representative. If that does not happen, then you've nothing to worry about.

Kat54

My advice: wait and see if you actually are contacted by a legal representative. If that does not happen, then you've nothing to worry about.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post... My screw up may well be costly... I have very limited resources, so I may become destitute if they decide to sue. Or they could just shoot me in the head and really get their pound of flesh... one is slow, the other fast... No the slow way would be better for revenge.

We must take responsibility for our actions, and the consequences of those actions. I will pay the penalty for a mistaken, hastily made decision. So be it!!

VeronicaLodge

why do you think they are going to sue you? did they metion it? what damages did they actually suffer by having the video pulled down briefly then restored?

justalayman

We must take responsibility for our actions, and the consequences of those actions. I will pay the penalty for a mistaken, hastily made decision. So be it!!
are you always this paranoid and hyper-reactive to situations? You believed it was your video. You made a legal demand made on that mistake. It has been corrected. It's done. Go on with life.

as to your video being a copyright infringement? No, it isn't because you recorded your own video. It just happens that it was apparently taken from a similar vantage point so yours looks very similar. Now, you might have to defend from the same mistake you made but it should be obvious upon closer inspection that they are in fact two different videos and again, all will be well in the world and life will go on.

Kat54

why do you think they are going to sue you? did they metion it? what damages did they actually suffer by having the video pulled down briefly then restored?
Thanks for responding... I don't know that they're going to sue, as they did not indicate that was coming. A little paranoid I guess. It's been several weeks to a month and half since their videos were shut down, but I don't know the time limit for filing a suit, if there is one.

The only damages was time and aggravation to them in restoring the videos. So I don't know if they think that's enough to sue over. They're a vindictive bunch, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:

Kat54

are you always this paranoid and hyper-reactive to situations? You believed it was your video. You made a legal demand made on that mistake. It has been corrected. It's done. Go on with life.

as to your video being a copyright infringement? No, it isn't because you recorded your own video. It just happens that it was apparently taken from a similar vantage point so yours looks very similar. Now, you might have to defend from the same mistake you made but it should be obvious upon closer inspection that they are in fact two different videos and again, all will be well in the world and life will go on.
Yes, unfortunately, I do have a tendency to be over reactive... it's a curse... If the worse is out there, I just feel I must prepare myself for the onslaught, and not be blind sided. But at the very least, I will be held up for public ridicule, as they are doing a story on the copyright mistake. And they DO want a pound of flesh in that regard. As I posted earlier... they're a vindictive bunch.

Thanks so much for your encouragement... all the advice given has been extremely helpful, and greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">