• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modifying and reselling electronics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shinychrome0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ohio
Is it legal to buy something, a guitar effects unit in this case, and modify the circuitry, then resell it for a profit?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

The Occultist

Do you know what used car dealerships do? They take used vehicles, make them better, and sell them at a profit.

Do you know what real estate agents do? They take used houses, make them better, and sell them at a profit.

I'm not necessarily providing legal advice here, but certainly this is something to consider.

FlyingRon

Except that cars don't typically embody copyright programs. If these modifications allow you to thwart the software protections for this software, or modify the software into what could be considered a derivative work, it very much could get you in trouble.

You'd really have to explain just what you were up to...

Another issue is to be sure you don't infringe on the original company's trademarks when marketing the modified unit. Primarily is whether there is any confusion that your modifications are done by or with the support of the original manufacturer.

justalayman

=FlyingRon;2410223]Except that cars don't typically embody copyright programs.
OP stated he is modifying circuitry. If it is not any associated software, then the car analogy is appropriate.

You'd really have to explain just what you were up to...
agreed

The Occultist .

Do you know what real estate agents do? They take used houses, make them better, and sell them at a profit.
No, a real estate agent represents a buyer or seller of real estate in a real estate transaction. An investor, or rehabber, or whatever you want to call them improves used houses and resells for a profit.

The Occultist

No, a real estate agent represents a buyer or seller of real estate in a real estate transaction. An investor, or rehabber, or whatever you want to call them improves used houses and resells for a profit.
Fair enough point, I've only interacted with one real estate agent, and she is a self-investor playing that game. I don't really know much, and I definitely sorta stopped listening once she started trying to explain capitol gains taxes to me :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">