• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Movie poster being sold without artist's permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lulu.young2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Hello. I have uploaded my short film poster
On public site (IMDB) and i was surprised to
find out that it's being sold everywhere now
including Amazon without my permission.
What can I do in this case?
Thank you.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Hello. I have uploaded my short film poster
On public site (IMDB) and i was surprised to
find out that it's being sold everywhere now
including Amazon without my permission.
What can I do in this case?
Thank you.
You can contact the sites where your poster appears and demand its removal, or you can file DMCA takedown notices with the sites, providing proof that you hold the copyrights in the work and the sites will remove your work from its online locations.

You can send demand letters asking for compensation from those who infringed on your work.

If your poster was registered with the US Copyright Office prior to infringement, you can think about suing those who have published your work without authorization and collect statutory damages (from $750 to $30,000 per infringed work). If your poster was not registered with the US Copyright Office before infringement, you can register your poster now and then sue and collect any provable profits (or recover any losses) from your infringers.

You can review all facts of the publication of your work on various and assorted sites with an IP attorney in your area for advice and direction.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">