• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

music copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ledzep

I make original music with a synthesizer, this instrument comes with preload music settings and arpeggiators that allow even a non musician to make music
just by playing with the keys, which is great, but this can also be a double edge sword since somebody else, using the same keyboard, can unwittingly create a piece of music verry similar to that one i created, simply because we both are using the same instrument, Do any of you is aware if this situation has been the source of lawsuits?

Thanks

ledzep

Thanks for your reply, well, i would not say that am creating music that is already copyrighted, since am starting from zero and have no knowledge
whatsoever of the other piece of music, however, the similarities that arise from using the same synthesizer are unavoidable and can be interpreted as if i
use someone else`s work, so am a little worried, should i be?, are there lawsuit cases that involve these kind of situations so i can study them and know what to expect?

Thanks for any info.

HomeGuru

Thanks for your reply, well, i would not say that am creating music that is already copyrighted, since am starting from zero and have no knowledge
whatsoever of the other piece of music, however, the similarities that arise from using the same synthesizer are unavoidable and can be interpreted as if i
use someone else`s work, so am a little worried, should i be?, are there lawsuit cases that involve these kind of situations so i can study them and know what to expect?

Thanks for any info.
**A: nothing to worry about. I don't think you are going to somehow get the synth to compose Stairway to Heaven.

ledzep

Many thanks for your comment, however, is there an index of court cases that i could research? i know i sound paranoid but any lawsuit can cost lots of $$$$$.

Again I appreciate any info.

swalsh411

You shouldn't live your life in fear of a lawsuit unless you are the type of person who breaks the law. You are on a fishing expedition and even if you found what you are looking for it wouldn't help to alleviate your apparent anxiety over nothing.

The Occultist

If two parties separately and independently coincidentally create the same work, no copyright infringement has occurred. Do note that this coincidence will not necessarily prevent a lawsuit from occurring, but it certainly would be the defendant's defense.

MathFanatic09

You shouldn't live your life in fear of a lawsuit unless you are the type of person who breaks the law. You are on a fishing expedition and even if you found what you are looking for it wouldn't help to alleviate your apparent anxiety over nothing.
Jesus Christ what are you talking about????????:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">