• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music Copyright Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdmusician

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have recently purchased two music oriented software products. One scans paper sheet music using my PC scanner and produces digital sheet music (e.g. MusicXML files). The other processes audio files, like a CD or an MP3 file, and produces digital sheet music (again MusicXML files).

If I use these products to process copyrighted music (either paper sheet music or CDs that I have purchased) for my private use, in my home, for no profit, am I infringing the copyright?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

divgradcurl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have recently purchased two music oriented software products. One scans paper sheet music using my PC scanner and produces digital sheet music (e.g. MusicXML files). The other processes audio files, like a CD or an MP3 file, and produces digital sheet music (again MusicXML files).

If I use these products to process copyrighted music (either paper sheet music or CDs that I have purchased) for my private use, in my home, for no profit, am I infringing the copyright?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Strictly speaking, this would fall under standard fair-use analysis to determine whether or not you would have a defense should someone decide to sue you for copyright infringement. There is no automatic "out" for personal reproduction of something.

But from a practical standpoint, if you are using these materials solely for your own personal use, and are not going to publish them or give them away, then it's not something you need to worry about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">