• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music for Dance schools

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amikesel

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I am considering starting a small business and would like to understand the copy right laws that may come into play in this situation. What I would be doing is cutting/editing music down to a certain time so that dance schools could use it for their recitals and competitions. Would I have to get permission from ASCAP/BMI for each track I cut?

From what I understand (which could definitely be wrong) the schools pay ASCAP/BMI to use any music they want for their performances, but would that permission give me, a separate business, the permissions to do the following?

pull a track off a CD
cut it down to close to 2 minutes by fading it out or
cutting portions of the song out and seamlessly fading back in for the end.
Putting that track back onto a CD for them to use at the performance..

If there are fees for myself involved can you give me a rough estimate of about how much it might be?

It almost seems like I would just need the same rights that a DJ has…..

Thanks in advance

Z

zappy

let me take a stab at this.

If you hired a DJ for your recitals, no problem, the dj can do anything with the music, its a live performance.

If you edited the music and used it for YOUR OWN recitals,even if its on the road, that usually is not a problem.

The problem is if you wanted to sell the cd's, then you would have to get permission. Usually a mechanical license from the Harry Fox Agency. in New York City

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">