• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

tempehaile

illinois. i sang on four songs of a friend's cd and he just sold one of the songs with my voice to a small record company, act II records, to be released as a single. i never signed anything, nor was i paid anything for my time. what is an artist entitled to, percentage-wise? he signed with the company a month or so ago and we recorded in august of 2001. thank you!

C

ChicagoLawyer

I assume you sang with full knowledge that friend was going to try to sell the demo, right? With that in mind, you do not have any claim that he may have pirated your vocals. You do have leverage against friend that he is using your performance, especially if he ever wants you to do another vocal for his band. Approach it that way, assert your rights to the single as if you were any other member of the band, you are entitled to an equal share, just like the drummer, guitarist, etc. Your claim is against the band and/or its manager (i assume that is the same person as your friend)

Good luck, find someone local to assist.

This response is intended as general information only and does not constitute as legal advice or form any attorney/client relationship

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">