• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music Reproduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MagicActor

Florida

I want to offer a service wherein I create an audio file of sheet music provided to me by a client.

Uses may include private home use or theatrical performance (where hopefully all performance rights have been obtained, but perhaps a live band isn't possible) or something else.

The sheet music would be entered into a program, note-by-note, and faithfully reproduced through computer-generated sounds. I would have to manually determine volume, panning, computer sound choice, and some other factors, but it would still only play the notes as presented on the page.

I know there are similar things online (millions of MIDI files online, for example), but I don't want to make assumptions.

Would it be a violation of copyright to offer this service, or is it fair use, or is it even more complicated?

In addition, if it is okay, would it further be okay to offer sample clips of songs (not the whole thing, maybe a verse and chorus) that are not my own to provide an example of the sounds and sound quality available?

Last edited:

quincy

Florida

I want to offer a service wherein I create an audio file of sheet music provided to me by a client.

Uses may include private home use or theatrical performance (where hopefully all performance rights have been obtained, but perhaps a live band isn't possible) or something else.

The sheet music would be entered into a program, note-by-note, and faithfully reproduced through computer-generated sounds. I would have to manually determine volume, panning, computer sound choice, and some other factors, but it would still only play the notes as presented on the page.

I know there are similar things online (millions of MIDI files online, for example), but I don't want to make assumptions.

Would it be a violation of copyright to offer this service, or is it fair use, or is it even more complicated?

In addition, if it is okay, would it further be okay to offer sample clips of songs (not the whole thing, maybe a verse and chorus) that are not my own to provide an example of the sounds and sound quality available?
Get permission from the holder of the copyrights to use their works, pay proper licensing fees, and you should not have a problem.

If this is a new business you are considering, sitting down with an attorney now can save you legal grief in the future.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">