• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Music Sampling/Mixing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Super

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I am considering starting a music service for local dance teams. They typically take several songs from well known artists, cut them in pieces, then make one song out of them. The music is not being resold, but it is being played in front of a live audience. I would like to the legality of this. Is it legal? If so do i need permission form artists/record companies to make it legal? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ryan

racer72

We do not email replies in this forum. You can select an option for an email notification when someone replies to your post.

What you describe is illegal. ASCAP and BMI (the license holder of all recorded music) have taken a dim view of this practice and are prosecuting to the fullest extent of the law. To do what you want, you will be required to pay licensing fees for the music used and additional fees for there use in a public forum. A recent sweep of clubs in the Seattle area recently resulted in charges against 17 different venues for copyright violations. Contact ASCAP and BMI for more info.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">