• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My writing was published without my knowledge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hoom6

Hi,

I don't have much knowledge of intellectual property so if someone could please help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
So this past march, one of my articles was published in a "textbook" by a big publishing company. I had signed contracts, gotten paid, everything was fine.
But I just discovered that a University Press (not affiliated in any way with the first publisher) published the same article in a reader that is being sold online for $50. Interestingly enough, this reader was released two months before the first textbook was released. I'm wondering if it's legal for this press to publish my article in their reader without my knowledge.

Thanks!

quincy

Hi,

I don't have much knowledge of intellectual property so if someone could please help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
So this past march, one of my articles was published in a "textbook" by a big publishing company. I had signed contracts, gotten paid, everything was fine.
But I just discovered that a University Press (not affiliated in any way with the first publisher) published the same article in a reader that is being sold online for $50. Interestingly enough, this reader was released two months before the first textbook was released. I'm wondering if it's legal for this press to publish my article in their reader without my knowledge.

Thanks!
What is the name of your state or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Did the "big publishing company" buy all rights to your article? I recommend you read your contract with the publishing company carefully.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">