• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice - Recevied Email from Paralegal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joe689

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

Here's what happened? I obtained a pdf book, copied it, and sold under 5 on half.com, totalling less than $200. The listing was removed very quickly and I was sent this email:

Let me introduce myself. I am the Infringement & Anti-Piracy Paralegal for Thomson Learning and I am responsible, along with others, for protecting the copyright interests of our company. Thomson Learning has recently discovered that you are illegally engaged in selling material that infringes Thomson Learning’s copyright through the eBay auction site.

The eBay user agreement, to which you have agreed, states that you, as a Seller, may not “violate any laws, third party rights, or …policies such as the Prohibited and Restricted Items policies.” Moreover, under the Copyright Act, the owner of the copyright in a work has the exclusive rights to reproduce and distribute the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer. 17 U.S.C. §§106(1) and (3). Notwithstanding the law, and your eBay User Agreement, on August 28th you offered for sale illegal copies of the following Thomson Learning product(s):

Key Legal Principles

We encourage you to take legal advice at this stage. However, it may be useful to explain certain aspects of copyright law here.

1. What damages can a court award in a copyright infringement case?

Thomson Learning regularly registers copyrights in the works it publishes. Accordingly, it may elect to recover in litigation, for each work infringed, either actual damages, or statutory damages of “not less than $750.00 or more than $30,000.00 as the court considers just.” 17 U.S.C.§504(c)(1). This amount may be increased to $150,000.00 per work if the infringement is willful. 17 U.S.C.§504(c)(2). Blatant piracy will almost always be deemed “willful.”

2. What if I am sued and choose to ignore it?

If you are sued by Thomson Learning, you will need to hire a lawyer to defend the case, or defend the case yourself. If you do neither, Thomson Learning will ask the court to enter a “default judgment” in the maximum amount of damages allowed by law. Such a judgment would then be enforced against you by, e.g., attaching your bank accounts and other assets.

3. Who pays attorneys’ fees?

Under the Copyright Act, the court may, in its discretion, award Thomson Learning its costs and attorney’s fees in bringing this action. 17 U.S.C. §505. See Basic Books, Inc. v Kinko’s Graphics Corp., 758 F. Supp. 1522 (S.D.N.Y. 1991). In all events, you will be liable for your own costs and fees, which conservatively could exceed $40,000.00 through trial, for a case that you will lose.

Acceptable Resolutions

Thomson Learning is willing to settle this claim early if we can avoid the inconvenience of a lawsuit. This can be done only if you respond promptly to this letter by agreeing to:

1. Cease making, distributing, and offering for sale, unauthorized copies of our material;

2. Destroy any and all illegal copies of our material presently in your possession or control;

3. Agree that if you infringe upon Thomson Learning’s copyrights in the future, you consent to the entry of damages against you in the amount of $5,000 per copy; and

4. Pay to Thomson Learning the sum of $250 as compensation for your infringement. Payment must be made in the form of a cashiers check payable to “Thomson Learning.”

Please sign and return one copy of this letter to my attention at the address below within 10 business days of your receipt thereof, along with the specified payment, as evidence of your agreement to the above. This offer expires after 10 business days, at which time we reserve the right to commence a lawsuit without further notice.

Advice is needed. I do not want to pay, nor do I want to get sued.

Ozark_Sophist

Sign the agreement and pay the $250. Otherwise YOU WILL be on the hook for at least $750 for each copy you sold plus court costs.

Joe689

Another thing: This was sent through email, no official corresponence. They said they are also mailing me First Class Mail, not certified. If they only want $200 for damages, I can imagine they are going to sue. What does sueing take? How much money and time?

You Are Guilty

In addition to being one of the most friendly and polite demand letters I have ever seen, the settlement offer is fantastic considering they have you dead to rights. I'd beg, borrow and steal (ok, well not steal) the $250 and get this monkey off your back. The SDNY filing fees alone cost $350, (not to mention the copyright damages they'll get.)

Consider it a relatively cheap lesson in IP law.

Ozark_Sophist

I thought about something else. Where did you get a PDF copy of a Thomson text? Where did you electronically store the book? On your computer or on a school computer? I ask because you could potentially be suspended or expelled if you obtained the text from a school source and/or you used school resources to sell the book. Settle up.

payorgetsued

Please help ASAP SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME

Joe or whoever can offer some advice, The same exact thing happened to me yesterday, I was selling a solution manual online for $5 and I received the same exact email word for word. Same company. I don't have any money and it will take me months to save that. What was the end result in your case and please reply quickly I only have 9 days to reply to them. I just can't believe over $5 would land me in this predicament. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

moburkes

Joe or whoever can offer some advice, The same exact thing happened to me yesterday, I was selling a solution manual online for $5 and I received the same exact email word for word. Same company. I don't have any money and it will take me months to save that. What was the end result in your case and please reply quickly I only have 9 days to reply to them. I just can't believe over $5 would land me in this predicament. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you
If the information above isn't helpful for you, and you've done a search on this site to confirm that your question hasn't been asked and answered before, then you can start your own thread with your questions.

payorgetsued

Thank you, the information is helpful. It's saying in order to avoid any further substantial monetary punitive damage I should pay the $250. I am thankful to everyone who did reply. The reason I didn't create a new post is (1) Theres no way to send Joe a private message (2) its the same exact issue, I specifically wanted to know what happened in his dispute because as stated, it's the same company, words, collection fee. My second priority in the event that Joe doesn't reply is to see if someone had a similar problem or have sound legal advice. If you recommend posting a new post I will do so, just showing I did my homework, there's already prior comments on the topic so why re-invent the wheel.

Once again Joe or anyone in the same or similar predicament or with sound legal advice to help me rectify this issue please help

Thank you

moburkes

You will get the information that you desire once you start another thread.

You kinda need to follow the rules in order to get assistance.

Hint: You'll need to ask a question, in order to get an answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">