• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help! Fair use of speeches

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

becalux

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida

I wrote a song inspired by an event in which many speakers took part. The event was simulcasted on television and radio, pretty much by all stations. Under Title 17 Sec. 107 "Fair Use" I belive that my use of the speeches falls under the limitations of exclusive rights. The song was written for personal, non-profit uses, however this could change in the future. The amount and substantiality of the portion , in my opinion, falls under the guidelines.However, is there a rule of thumb to measure this particular point? My song does not affect the market or the value of the copywritten speeches, even if it became commercial in nature. Is the "Rosemont" case still considered when determining "public interest". How does one determine whether a work has "public interest"? I would like to copyright my song but I need to resolve these issues. 1. Is the song a "derivative work" ? 2. Is the use of the "ideas" and some of the language a copyright infringement?
Please help! Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">