• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Creation Clause of a Musical Copyright

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

GuitarMaster

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I have a patent pending on a new type of musical notation which makes learning guitar much easier than the systems already in use. I plan to use it on the site I'm building for guitar students.

The problem is, in order for the system to have value I have to have music to use it on! Of course students are more interested in learning popular contemporary music than anything I would find in the public domain.

Copyright law being the confusing mess that it is, how much leeway would I have given that the site is for educational purposes and that because musical notation for the songs I want to use is ALL OVER the internet for free, that what I am selling is strictly the new type of musical notation and not the music itself?

I plan to use lyrics only as needed to indicate where the student is in the song such as, "There's a lady who..." to show where the first verse of Stairway to Heaven comes in after the musical intro. As for the music I just want to do an outline showing how a lick is played just once rather than every time it's used in the song then maybe refering to it by a corresponding number such as (repeat lick # 14 3x here) kind of thing.

Also, I would like to offer people free membership to the lesson site (only part of which is the musical notation) in exchange for posting songs using the new system. Anyone who wishes to contribute would have free access to the entire site.

I'd appreciate any insight anyone can give me on this but please indicate what your qualifications are so I know how reliable your response is.

Thanks very much for your help!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">