• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

new product

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

adw

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I made a new product, cannot afford to have it patented so I took pictures of it and wrote a description and had these notarized. I then mailed them to myself certified mail and will not open the envelope to prove I thought of the idea. I contacted a company that is interested in my product and they want to put it on their site to see if it shows interest, if it does they would put me in contact with sales representatives that will assist in marketing it to specialty companies. How can I best protect myself and my product legally and financially now? Should I go to a lawyer now, what type of lawyer, and what would that lawyer (very generally) cost? Thank you for your time.

C

ChicagoLawyer

Sounds like you should see a patent attorney. A reputable one, and assuming your invention is patentable, could cost you several thousand dollars from start to finish. Just remember, you get what you pay for. Less or lower service is always available for less money. I bet the company you are talking to will even do all this for free, right? Maybe even give you some sort of a payment or royalty? Be careful.

Sounds like you also need to get a really good fireproof safe for that letter.

This response is intended as general information only and does not constitute as legal advice or form any attorney/client relationship

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">