• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Numbered, text-based key to diagram

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

footballknee

My question pertains to technical diagrams. These diagrams often use numbers to label the components and then provide a text-based "key" which is a list of the component names and their associated numbers, instead of cluttering the diagram by including component names in the diagram itself.

Obviously, the diagram is copyrighted material. But what of the key? My understanding is that a non-creative list, such as a list of all components involved in a given assembly, does not constitute copyrightable expression. But does the fact that the list is numbered change anything?

FlyingRon

The list of parts in itself may not be a copyrightable entity, but unless you're going to have it stand by itself, it would be considered part of the overall work.

footballknee

What I plan to do is use the list of parts but just link to the diagram instead of using it myself. Does this sound acceptable?

FlyingRon

No, doesn't sound legitimate in the least. The case law is all over the place, but to be safe you'll have to assume that linking/framing someone else's copyright material to make your work is infringing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">