• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obtaining permission to use copyrighted/trademarked items

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

OhioCollegeStud

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hi,

I just had a question regarding how exactly to obtain these permissions. Currently I have been trying to obtain the permission to use the AC/DC Logo from a variety of sources. I started out by calling epic records and after going through 10 or so people I eventually ended up with being told to talk to AC/DC's manager. I have been trying to contact him but there is no use. It is rather frustrating because if I cant use it then I've just been wasting my time.

Just a general question regarding this situation and others, what steps do people generally need to take to obtain the permission to use such materials? I have tried other companies as well but sometimes it is hard to know who to talk to and even people in the legal departments arent always a big help.

Another quick comment to make is that out of all of this my intent is to use such a logo for a fraternity rush shirt. Only around 80 would be made and they would not be sold either. The name of the company/brand wouldnt be on it either, but rather the art design would be used. Would this be anywhere near the realm of "fair use"?

Please let me know any thoughts.
J

BelizeBreeze

You have been told what is required. Do you really expect the manager for such a group is going to answer your calls? Write a letter.

Otherwise, keep your posts together.

Yamitron

Here is what I would do in this situation.

Google AC/DC... find the OFFICIAL website. I believe it appears first in a google search.
Right at the bottom of the enter page, there is a disclaimer, it states that the logo is a registered trademark of Leidseplein Presse B.V.

You're going to have to contact them for permission to use the logo. Epic is just a distributor and promoter.. they won't be able to do much.

They might be spinning you around in circles because they don't want to give you permission. This is because they are afraid you are going to give them bad press or something. If you send them a picture of the finished product and a formal request for permission to distribute this, you might have more of a chance. And be prepared to pay up if they do grant you permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">