• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online course inspired by a book: what are the risks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perezv

Hello,

I would like to upload an online course for cooking on xxxxx. Is there any legal risk, knowing that:
1) My course would largely be inspired by a book
2) I would make money out this course

If yes, what strategy should use to avoid those risks ? Am I under the obligation of contacting the author of the book in order to obtain his consent?

Thanks for your advice!

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Hello,

I would like to upload an online course for cooking on XXX. Is there any legal risk, knowing that:
1) My course would largely be inspired by a book
2) I would make money out this course

If yes, what strategy should use to avoid those risks ? Am I under the obligation of contacting the author of the book in order to obtain his consent?

Thanks for your advice!
What is the name of your state, perezv, or, if not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Yes, there comes with your proposed plan legal risks. You should contact the author of the book and obtain permission to use the copyrighted work. Otherwise, you could be faced with a cease and desist notice, a demand for money to compensate the copyright holder for your unauthorized use, and/or a copyright infringement suit.

Your original post, by the way, has had the link removed.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">