• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ownership issue for a band

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dbink1

I am in Michigan.

I founded a band 3 years ago of which I wrote a good portion of the songs and did all of the marketing/pr work (web site, fliers, logo, gigs, press, t-shirts, stickers, etc) and quit the band last year. I told them that they do not have permission to use my ideas in the songs, nor the band name, yet they continue to gig and make money under that name using the name, logo, t-shirts, stickers, etc that I created. They are also locally releasing a 5 song EP with songs that I co-wrote - do I have a case to get my share?

Thanks

HomeGuru

dbink1 said:
I am in Michigan.

I founded a band 3 years ago of which I wrote a good portion of the songs and did all of the marketing/pr work (web site, fliers, logo, gigs, press, t-shirts, stickers, etc) and quit the band last year. I told them that they do not have permission to use my ideas in the songs, nor the band name, yet they continue to gig and make money under that name using the name, logo, t-shirts, stickers, etc that I created. They are also locally releasing a 5 song EP with songs that I co-wrote - do I have a case to get my share?

Thanks

**A: yes, what ever share that may be.

JETX

Since you MIGHT have an actionable claim, you now need to:
1) Try to determine your 'damages'. How much do you feel you lost when you walked away??
2) You are also going to need to gather up a few thousand $$'s. That will be a good start to paying a lawyer to handle your case. And start saving for the next few thousand $$ that he will want shortly.
3) Start looking for 'expert witnesses' that can evaluate your claims for damages and determine an opinion as to a 'fair' value.

Please come back to us after you have filed your lawsuit and tell us how it has been so far......
Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">