• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Painting Old Hollywood Icons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

czeity

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I like to paint images of old Hollywood actors/actresses in a very unique colorful style. I utilize old black and white photos I find online and make up the coloring myself. I would really like to make prints of these pieces because so many people like them, but I do not know the law in terms of utilizing "famous" icons of history. I heard you need to contact the estate of say, Marilyn Monroe and purchase a "right to use" or something of that nature? How does one go about this process? Is this true? I really want to go about doing this in the right way!

quincy

There are property right (publicity right) and (potentially) trademark issues involved in your use of the images of Hollywood actors and actresses, and there are copyright issues involved in your use of the photographs taken by others.

You need to license the rights to the photographs from the photographer who took the photos, to avoid copyright infringement, and you need to contact the agents of the actors or actresses, or their estates, for permission and a license to use their images in your work.

Your wisest course of action is to consult with an IP attorney in your area, show him some of your work, and go over all of the legal problems you may face when producing your work on a wider scale. The attorney can advise you on getting the proper permission and licenses, so you can avoid lawsuits being filed against you.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">