• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paranoid Client

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FreelanceProgmr

I have a client (let's call them Company X) for whom I've provided computer consulting services for about eight years. Although they've created their own web site, they've done a poor job at establishing a web presence and apparently their clients are having difficulty locating them on the Internet.

I’ve placed my consulting resume on my web page which lists some of the clients I have provided services for over the years. Among the clients listed on my web site is Company X.

About six months ago an individual, while attempting to locate Company X on the web, found my site instead. So they sent me an e-mail requesting information about one of Company X's products. This individual was apparently confused about which company they were actually communicating with. I quickly responded to this person and told them that instead of contacting me they needed to speak to Company X directly. I then gave them a contact name at Company X.

Since this incident Company X has apparently become paranoid and seem to think that I am confusing their clients/prospects into thinking that I am Company X. They have instructed me to remove all references to Company X from the resume section of my web site.

I've never signed an agreement with Company X limiting my ability to list them as a client reference. Is Company X's request legal? Can they enforce this request?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">