• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

photo being used on a weight loss pill website without my permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Erik1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hi. I recently came across a before and after face picture of myself on a website selling diet pills. I have never used these pills. The website has a fake name next to my picture and a testimonial claiming I have used these pills in my weight loss. This is all false. I have never endorsed nor used any kind of pills. Besides requesting the website to remove my picture, can I possibly sue for illegal use of my picture that I found on the diet pill weight loss site? What's my best course of action?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hi. I recently came across a before and after face picture of myself on a website selling diet pills. I have never used these pills. The website has a fake name next to my picture and a testimonial claiming I have used these pills in my weight loss. This is all false. I have never endorsed nor used any kind of pills. Besides requesting the website to remove my picture, can I possibly sue for illegal use of my picture that I found on the diet pill weight loss site? What's my best course of action?
Contact an attorney and take copies of the website with your pictures on it. You may have a claim for false light and various other things.

Erik1

Contact an attorney and take copies of the website with your pictures on it. You may have a claim for false light and various other things.
Thank you for the reply! I have taken copies/screenshots of the website and it's information. 1 more question, what kind kind of attorney should I be seeking? General Practice?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thank you for the reply! I have taken copies/screenshots of the website and it's information. 1 more question, what kind kind of attorney should I be seeking? General Practice?
General practice, defamation, personal injury are all possibilities. Did you post this pictures anywhere online?

quincy

One Washington law that you may wish to review is Washington's Right of Publicity - WA ST 63.60.040, although invasion of privacy/false light and defamation are, as Ohiogal said, some areas of the law that may apply to your described situation, as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">