• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photographs of toys.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wiredknLght

I want to sell photographs that I have taken of action figures (toys) that I took and own. However, these action figures are of course representations of copyrighted characters such as popular heroes like superman, or from movies such as the matrix.
I plan on using photos of the toys/figures only, no packaging material will be used. My aim is to sell an artistic expression, not the toys themselves.
I may perhaps also uses the images in slide shows to be placed online.

Is this infringing on the rights of the toy manufacturer to sell images of their products?

Does it make a difference if I don’t use written or spoken word that references their product, just the image?

quincy

As with everything in law, it depends on all of the facts.

It would probably be considered an infringement on a toy maker's copyright or trademark to photograph the copyrighted or trademarked toy and sell the photograph of the toy. Generally, it is a violation of trademark rights or copyrights to sell photographs that have recognizable trademarks, brand names or copyrighted material (such as a logo), unless permission is first granted by the holder of the copyright or trademark - although there can be some exceptions, such as if the protected material is only incidental to the shot.

In addition, by photographing copyrighted or trademarked toys without a license from the copyright/trademark holder, you may discover that you do not have a valid copyright in your own photographs.

There were two fairly recent court decisions made regarding the photographing of toys.

In one, Scrock v Learning Curve International, Inc, US District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, No. 04c6927, January 29, 2008, the Court ruled that a photographer who was hired to photograph toys, and who later tried to sue for infringement over the unauthorized use of these photographs, could not sue for infringement because he had no valid copyright in the photographs.

The photographs were judged to be derivative works - works based upon preexisting material and for which the copyright holder has exclusive rights. In order to create a derivative work based on another's copyrighted work, authorization is needed first from the copyright owner.

So, your photographs of toys could be considered derivative works and in violation of the copyright holder's rights.

In Mattel Inc. v Walking Mountain Productions, 353 F.3d 792 (9th Cir. 2003), a photographer took photos of Mattel's trademarked Barbie doll interacting with various household appliances. Mattel sued the photographer for trademark infringement, trade dress infringement, and dilution of the trademark. Mattel lost the suit.

The Court ruled that the photographs of Barbie with the appliances were non-commercial works of art and not subject to dilution, the photographs did not suggest sponsorship by Mattel, the photographs were fair-use parodies and the Barbie doll was necessary for the parodies, and that the Barbie doll can be considered common usage and cannot be trademark-protected.

So, if your photographs are parodies they might be considered fair-use (although fair use is determined at the court level).

The bottom line is that you can have problems with your proposed photograph idea, especially if you are planning to use your photographs in a commercial manner. Without authorization from the copyright/trademark holders, you, one, may not have a valid copyright in the photographs you take and, two, you could be sued for infringement.

If your intent is to make money from the sale of your photographs, you should contact the holders of the rights to the toys and obtain a license.

Last edited:

wiredknLght

Thank you

Thank you for the info. I especially appreciate the reference to particular cases.
Looks like as usual with these things, I'll be dabbling in grey area.

quincy

You're welcome, wiredknLght. And, if you're deciding to dabble in the grey areas of the law, you might want to take out some liability insurance - just in case. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">