• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photography copyright question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cindy1444

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

I started a photography business with a friend (first mistake). We had NOTHING in writing. After 10 months I walked away. They insisted they had all rights to my images to sell and that I was not allowed to sell any. At that point, I just wanted out. Seven months later and they are now coming to me with conditions and a list of things I can and cannot do.
I refuse to sign anything now as we signed nothing going in.

Am I correct in saying that LEGALLY I own all my images and that they have ILLEGALLY been selling and profiting from my work without my release? I have read through a couple of sites addressing copyright laws. I see that an EMPLOYER has all rights to images that an EMPLOYEE took. I was NEVER in their employment and NEVER made any money from the business.

What are my rights?

quincy

Generally, the photographer owns the copyright to any photo he takes, absent a written agreement to the contrary.

Because you had a photography business, however, the copyright could rightfully belong to the business.

You should consult with an attorney in your area and go over all of the particulars of your situation, to determine what your rights, if any, are in the photos. If it is found you legitimately hold the copyright in the photos, you may be entitled to compensation for their use.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">