• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Picture of a Picture

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.

Would it be copyright infringement if using my camera, I snapped a picture of a picture that was made by a professional photographer and gave copies to family?
I think the original picture must have some anti-copying feature placed on it as my attempt to make copies failed when I tried a commercial copying machine.

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania.

Would it be copyright infringement if using my camera, I snapped a picture of a picture that was made by a professional photographer and gave copies to family?
I think the original picture must have some anti-copying feature placed on it as my attempt to make copies failed when I tried a commercial copying machine.
If the photographer retained the copyright (most do explicitly as a part of the contract for the portrait or event), then it is illegal to copy no matter how you do it.

If the photographer retained the copyright (most do explicitly as a part of the contract for the portrait or event), then it is illegal to copy no matter how you do it.
Brfore I trimmed the photographer's picture, the business name was placed in it and It also may have been a copyright mark. How long does a copyright last? I checked our phone directory and the business name does not appear in it. I suspect the photographer may have gone out of business. The photograph was taken 7.5 years ago.

The Occultist

I don't know the accurate answer and I don't care to look (minimal searching on your part on this forum alone should find you the answer), but a copyright lasts something like 75 years before it becomes public domain. A lot longer than 7.5, anyways.

justalayman

and the fact (if true) the business is no more does not affect the copyright. The copyright is still in effect. If the original copright holder died, his heirs would still own the rights to it and if desired, could push the issue.

divgradcurl

Thanks All,
It's got me thinking that somewhere, someone owns my image. I thought I owned it.
Not unless the copyright was transferred to you in writing.

Term of copyright is life of the author (or photographer) + 70 years, if the photographer was working for himself or herself. If the photographer was an employee of a photography company, then the copyright term is the longer of 120 years from creation, or 95 years from first publication.

Either way, it's going to be covered under copyright for a long time.

Reprints are how photographers make the bulk of their money, that's why copyrights are rarely transferred -- they want to keep you coming back for reprints.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">