• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pictures on clothing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Reaf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Hello, i am planning on starting a clothing brand/company and wanted to know if i could get sued or in any legal trouble by using pictures of famous people [specifically The Pope (any of them),Anne Frank, and Paula Deen] on clothes that i would sell? The pictures i would be using have been edited by me (using photoshop). Also could i get in trouble for using the word Pope in the name of my brand/company?

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Hello, i am planning on starting a clothing brand/company and wanted to know if i could get sued or in any legal trouble by using pictures of famous people [specifically The Pope (any of them) and Paula Deen] on clothes that i would sell? The pictures i would be using have been edited by me (using photoshop). Also could i get in trouble for using the word Pope in the name of my brand/company?
Yes, you can get sued for using the names or images of famous people on your clothing.

In the US, individuals have both a right of privacy and a right of publicity. While everyone has a right of privacy, famous people often must give up some of their privacy rights because of the public's interest in them.

But, what famous people lose in privacy rights, they gain in publicity rights - which is the right to control the commercialization of their persona (name, likeness, voice, mannerisms). Famous people often make the majority of their income from endorsements. Their support of a product or service is valuable to a company. Think of Matthew McConauhey and the Lincoln ads, for example. McConauhey was paid a LOT of money to lend himself and his fame to the promotion of the Lincoln brand.

There are currently "Pope Francis" dolls being marketed but whether these will lead to any legal action is a question mark.

The bottom line is that you cannot safely trade off the name or image of another. You would need permission from those whose names and images you wish to use, and this permission generally comes in the form of a license, and these licenses can be expensive.

Two additional notes:
One is that you cannot use photos created by others, even if you photoshop or modify them, because there are copyrights that attach to these photos and any derivatives made from them. You would need permission from the photographer or holder of the copyrights before using these images.

Two is that there is the possibility of using images of dead famous people, if no rights are still held in these images (either by the estates of the dead famous people or by the photographers who took photos of them prior to death). Photos of 1923 vintage and earlier are in the public domain - but the names and images of the dead famous people may still have publicity or trademark rights attached.

Last edited:

Reaf

Yes, you can get sued for using the names or images of famous people on your clothing.

In the US, individuals have both a right of privacy and a right of publicity. While everyone has a right of privacy, famous people often must give up some of their privacy rights because of the public's interest in them.

But, what famous people lose in privacy rights, they gain in publicity rights - which is the right to control the commercialization of their persona (name, likeness, voice, mannerisms). Famous people often make the majority of their income from endorsements. Their support of a product or service is valuable to a company. Think of Matthew McConauhey and the Lincoln ads, for example. McConauhey was paid a LOT of money to lend himself and his fame to the promotion of the Lincoln brand.

There are currently "Pope Francis" dolls being marketed but whether these will lead to any legal action is a question mark.

The bottom line is that you cannot safely trade off the name or image of another. You would need permission from those whose names and images you wish to use, and this permission generally comes in the form of a license, and these licenses can be expensive.
What about the Anne Frank piece, she's been dead for a while and the picture i would be using is edited, does someone own Anne Frank? Could i get in trouble for using her picture?

quincy

What about the Anne Frank piece, she's been dead for a while and the picture i would be using is edited, does someone own Anne Frank? Could i get in trouble for using her picture?
Sorry. I added to my previous post to address the issue of famous dead people and the use of photographers' images of them. These may or may not have protection.

I believe there has been recent legal disputes over the use of Anne Frank, her image and her words. I can check more on the status of these but I am thinking that the use of her name and/or image for your clothing line could lead to some legal grief for you.

quincy

I am having some issues with the edit feature on this site tonight so I will just add to my comment about Anne Frank here.

There is the Anne Frank Fund in Basle and the Anne Frank Foundation in Amsterdam and the Anne Frank Educational Trust - all of which have rights to all things Anne Frank and all of which have been involved in legal battles over these rights at various times. In addition, Anne Frank is a registered trademark.

You definitely do not want your unlicensed clothing line to go up against these entities and their attorneys so, to answer your question, yes. You could get into trouble for using the image of Anne Frank for your commercial venture.

Last edited:

Reaf

I am having some issues with the edit feature on this site tonight so I will just add to my comment about Anne Frank here.

There is the Anne Frank Fund in Basle and the Anne Frank Foundation in Amsterdam and the Anne Frank Educational Trust - all of which have rights to all things Anne Frank and all of which have been involved in legal battles over these rights at various times. In addition, Anne Frank is a registered trademark.

You definitely do not want your unlicensed clothing line to go up against these entities and their attorneys so, to answer your question, yes. You could get into trouble for using the image of Anne Frank for your commercial venture.
Thank you very much Quincy!! With my company just starting any legal trouble is the last thing i need. You've been a great help and saved me lots of stress and money I'm sure, thank you very much:)

quincy

Thank you very much Quincy!! With my company just starting any legal trouble is the last thing i need. You've been a great help and saved me lots of stress and money I'm sure, thank you very much:)
You're welcome, Reaf. Thank you for the thanks. :)

I think you are very smart to be thinking of the legalities at the start of your venture. Many people don't think ahead. It is generally a lot easier, and almost always a lot less expensive, to address legal concerns at the start of a venture, before these concerns can become legal problems later.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">