• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pink pokadots

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

candywrapper

What is the name of your state? WA

I create personalized candy wrappers. These wrapper are wrapped over the candy bar. Mostly they are used as party favors. I have been ask by a customer to create a candy bar wrapper that will coordinate with paper plates she has already purchased. They have a pink pokadot background with the strawberry shortcake doll in the center. I know I can't use an image of the strawberry shortcake doll, but what about the surronding area of the plate? Is everything with pink pokadots copyrighted by strawberry shortcake? I am often asked to match partyware.
Thanks.:rolleyes:

divgradcurl

candywrapper said:
What is the name of your state? WA

I create personalized candy wrappers. These wrapper are wrapped over the candy bar. Mostly they are used as party favors. I have been ask by a customer to create a candy bar wrapper that will coordinate with paper plates she has already purchased. They have a pink pokadot background with the strawberry shortcake doll in the center. I know I can't use an image of the strawberry shortcake doll, but what about the surronding area of the plate? Is everything with pink pokadots copyrighted by strawberry shortcake? I am often asked to match partyware.
Thanks.:rolleyes:
This wouldn't be a copyright issue, it would be a trademark issue. That said, it's possible that the "look and feel" of pink polkadots could potentially be trademarked (this is called "trade dress") -- you could search the database at www.uspto.gov to see if they have a registered trademark or not -- but the breadth of the trademark protections is not infinite even if they do have a trademark. Unless the company has specifically registered the trade dress for candy or other food, it seems pretty unlikely that they would be able assert a trade dress infringement cause of action against a candy bar.

As always, for the best possible advice, you should consult with a local attorney, who can review all of the facts of the case and advise you accordingly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">