• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Playing MP3's on webpage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

jhamil1

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I am building a webpage that has a virtual tuner(kind of like a cd player) that plays MP3's which I have cut down to roughly playing about 2 minutes of the music. Also they're different genres of music that you can listen to, while your viewing the rest of the webpage. The MP3's cannot be downloaded and we do not require a subscription fee to listen to the songs. I know that I will have to have a license for doing this, what I am confused about is what type of license do I need and where do I need to get this license? I have read and tried to read about this but it is very confusing to me, it seems like there is a million different organization telling you different things. Such as BMI, Abscap, sound exchange, RIAA, Harry Fox, and I'm probably missing a few. What I don't get is do I have to pay each one of these firms, which would be an outrageous price or can I get a license that will cover this specific situation from one firm. The tuner only has 9 songs that can be played and I want to change them about every month. Any help will be appreciated, I have looked, emailed copyright lawyers without a reply to no avail, please help me. :confused:

C

ChicagoLawyer

it is all very complicated, but you are on the right trail. keep going. Harry Fox is probably primary. Ascap and BMI are important as well. Depending on your situation, you may need licenses from all of them. DMCA licensing is also possibly relevant.

You have 3 issues, the sound recording, the work itself and the right to broadcast it. THat is why you have so many different licensing entities to deal with. GOod luck. HIRE A LAWYER. THIS STUFF CHANGES FREQUENTLY. THAT IS WHY YOU ARE NOT GETTING ANYTHING FREE.

This is not intended to be legal advice. Rather it is general advice only. Please contact an attorney. We have no attorney client relationship.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">