• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Copyright Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WorriedCitizen

Hello.
I am a member of a particular organization. I have located a group producing a wall poster and other products that
a) closely replicate our organization's logo
b) mocks our organization

I am only a lowly member, and I'm fairly certain (due to the nature of this organizaton), that the leadership would not be interested in pursuing the group legally.

My question:
Would it be acceptable for me to create an email address somewhat posing as a Legal Team for my organization, and send this group an e-mail attaching evidence of our copyrights and (kindly) suggesting the possibility of legal action and requesting them to stop their service? I would not attempt to impersonate any individual (we do not even have a legal team). My hope is that they will simply be scared away.

Please do not suggest formal legal action, for it it is truly out of the question.

swalsh411

Bad idea. They will see through your clever ruse and it will only give them more ammunition to mock you with. It also might get you fired and you would almost certainly not be eligible for unemployment. Furthermore, a parody of a logo and mocking is probably not in violation of copyright anyway.

And what email address would you create? [email protected]? Yea that's believable.

And I saw you ignored the question asking for your state so if you are outside of the US then US LAW ONLY.

WorriedCitizen

Bad idea. They will see through your clever ruse and it will only give them more ammunition to mock you with. It also might get you fired and you would almost certainly not be eligible for unemployment. Furthermore, a parody of a logo and mocking is probably not in violation of copyright anyway.

And what email address would you create? [email protected]? Yea that's believable.

And I saw you ignored the question asking for your state so if you are outside of the US then US LAW ONLY.
Well, the thing is, the group is composed of High School students. I'm willing to bet they would be scared off. If not, hey, it was worth a shot, right?

Also, I am not an employee of this organization; basically just a participant. It's non-profit.

I realize what they are doing isn't exactly illegal; Just wanted to check if I could personally get into legal trouble by sending said email.

Oh and sorry about that, I erased that question when I realized this field was for the entire body of the question, and forgot to include my answer (Texas).

swalsh411

You will come across many people in your life that are doing things you disagree with. Threatening legal action because you don't like what they saying is a very slippery slope. They have every right to mock your organization. Instead of trying to shut them down, how about making sure to do a great job at whatever it is you're doing so people don't listen to them?

WorriedCitizen

Hah I appreciate the moral advice everyone. I'd just like to try to thwart them. Or at least make them worry. Just wondering if sending an e-mail and trying to sound like a legal team is legal or not :).

justalayman

Hah I appreciate the moral advice everyone. I'd just like to try to thwart them. Or at least make them worry. Just wondering if sending an e-mail and trying to sound like a legal team is legal or not :).
MORAL?? mine was dealing with the legal aspect. If they are not doing anything illegal, you need to leave them alone or you may subject yourself to some legal problems of your own.

you admit what they are doing is not illegal but you are going to send them threats claiming that what they are doing is illegal and you might take legal action against them.

wow, what a loser.

WorriedCitizen

MORAL?? mine was dealing with the legal aspect. If they are not doing anything illegal, you need to leave them alone or you may subject yourself to some legal problems of your own.

you admit what they are doing is not illegal but you are going to send them threats claiming that what they are doing is illegal and you might take legal action against them.

wow, what a loser.
That's the idea! What legal problems can it cause (my original question)?

WorriedCitizen

So you would like to stop people who are saying things you disagree with by pretending to be a lawyer and threatening fake legal action.

I predict a long and successful life. You're off to a great start.
Essentially, yes.
My life is already been long and successful by the way, this certainly isn't anywhere near the start!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">