• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible trademark conflict. Do I have to change my business name?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EmilyRegina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Caveat: I've changed the actual names of the 2 companies for privacy, but the meaning and concept it the same, therefore the case is the same.

I am starting up a small art studio that will be also operated as a business. I have 3 printing presses and will be designing and printing custom letterpress stationary and invitations for clients that hire me to do so. I started a website/blog featuring my studio name at the top, and started posting updates on projects I've completed. I started this 2 weeks ago. My studio name is at the top of the page- DOODLE DRAW STUDIO

I received an email from a company with a similar name (DOODLE STUDIO) asking me to change my name to prevent confusion, even though we are not competitors. They are a retail store where kids can make books. There is no indication on their website that they offer any of the same services that I do. They are also in Southern California.

My question is, do I have to change my business name? Also, am I within my rights to kindly refuse? Should I offer to put a link on my site establishing nonaffiliation?

Thank you for the help.

tranquility

Such a thing is a very fact sensitive question. If you really need an answer see an attorney. Better now for advice than later for defense.

The Occultist

To support the message Tranq is conveying: avoid the lawsuit, and speaking with an attorney can help you do so. To further this point: if you are sued, even if you are completely in the right and can win the lawsuit, do you have the money to support such a lawsuit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">