• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Posting other website content? Is it wrong if I ack them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmfmtp

I have posted some content from another site with an acknowledgement that the source is their site with the URL and I have been requested to remove the content stating that it is an infringement on their copyright. Is this correct? Why is it wrong if I have made mention of the source?

This is a content that I had about a festival that I published in my site.

Can someone explain?

FlyingRon

It is illegal to post other people's content without their permission. It makes no difference if you publicly acknowledge you stole it.

Remove it, or expect them to file a complaint with your ISP which will take your site down to avoid legal liability on their part.

tmfmtp

RSS Source

If I have taken content from a site that offers RSS Service, is that ok?
I am not linking it from the RSS but taken the content from their site. Is this ok?

FlyingRon

If you mean the info in the RSS message itself, you probably can infer you have permission from that syndication. If you mean, the content the RSS feed links to, CERTAINLY NOT.

tmfmtp

RSS Feed info

Thanks for your kind advice. Just to get the idea, why should the content on RSS be able to used, as they are already giving it away free, what is the rationale behind the copyright claim?

FlyingRon

Found on the internet does not mean public domain.
The fact that they alert people to content on their site via RSS doesn't mean they want thieves like you stealing their content and putting it up elsewhere.
RSS feed or NOT, you can NOT use it without permission any more than you can make copies of TV broadcasts or xerox newspapers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">