• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

potential conflict with a not-yet-registered trademark.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I have an educational program in the Northern US that uses a specific phrase. The names and trademarks I use below are not the actual names/trademarks.

For the sake of this post let's say the phrase is "Better Retirement Planning For You". I've been using a similar phrase for about one year now, though much more actively in the last 5 months as I finally saved enough to produce written materials and publish dozens of semi-professional videos that contain the phrase.

Earlier this week someone pointed out that a company down South applied to trademark a similar phrase in March 2013 and filed an ITU as well - their version contains another of their trademarks. Let's call it "Better Retirement Planning with ACME Financing".

The application has not yet been published for opposition at this point. Here's what I do know based on my research:

1. USPTO examining atty responded July 2013:

"Registration of the applied-for mark is refused because of a likelihood of confusion with the marks X, Y and Z." Citing the applicants own similar trademarks containing its business name, the atty went on to write "The examining attorney finds that the term ACME Financing is the dominant feature of both applicant�s and registrant�s marks. Turning first to registrant�s marks, ACME Financing is dominant for three reasons."

He cited three reasons then wrote "In each mark, consumers understand that ACME Financing is the source of the services, as the marks highlight this fact through the use of the phrase �An ACME Incorporated COMPANY.� Consumers will understand that while ACME Incorporated may in some way own or control ACME Financing, the services consumers receive come directly from ACME Financing. Because of this, the commercial impression of registrant�s marks emanates from the term ACME Financing."

2. This month, January 2014, the applicant's atty responded:

"Applicant is the owner of U.S. Reg. Nos. X, Y and Z. The assignments regarding these registrations have been submitted to the Assignment division (concurrently with this filing). As such, Applicant respectfully requests that the Section 2(d) refusal be withdrawn." He also appears to have amended the application to add an additional class.

-------------------------------------------------------

Now to my questions...

What does the applicant's attorney mean by "The assignments regarding these registrations have been submitted to the Assignment division"?

Is he trying to have registrations re-assigned in a way that might circumvent the issues raised by the examiner? Can the examiner deny the request? And how long does it generally take before an examiner responds to something of this nature?

I volunteer my time to travel the region to provide information at no cost and no catch. I like to give back to local communities. So, there's no budget to file trademarks or wage legal battles. What are my options in a scenario such as this? I spent so much time and effort already on the content that I use, but the fact is I have not been using the phrase for years - just for a significant portion of 2013. I am at a loss of about what to do. Might I have to recreate all of the content without the phrase in it? Should I discontinue using it or not worry for the time being?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

quincy

I have an educational program in the Northern US that uses a specific phrase. The names and trademarks I use below are not the actual names/trademarks.

For the sake of this post let's say the phrase is "Better Retirement Planning For You". I've been using a similar phrase for about one year now, though much more actively in the last 5 months as I finally saved enough to produce written materials and publish dozens of semi-professional videos that contain the phrase.

Earlier this week someone pointed out that a company down South applied to trademark a similar phrase in March 2013 and filed an ITU as well - their version contains another of their trademarks. Let's call it "Better Retirement Planning with ACME Financing".

The application has not yet been published for opposition at this point. Here's what I do know based on my research:

1. USPTO examining atty responded July 2013:

"Registration of the applied-for mark is refused because of a likelihood of confusion with the marks X, Y and Z." Citing the applicants own similar trademarks containing its business name, the atty went on to write "The examining attorney finds that the term ACME Financing is the dominant feature of both applicant�s and registrant�s marks. Turning first to registrant�s marks, ACME Financing is dominant for three reasons."

He cited three reasons then wrote "In each mark, consumers understand that ACME Financing is the source of the services, as the marks highlight this fact through the use of the phrase �An ACME Incorporated COMPANY.� Consumers will understand that while ACME Incorporated may in some way own or control ACME Financing, the services consumers receive come directly from ACME Financing. Because of this, the commercial impression of registrant�s marks emanates from the term ACME Financing."

2. This month, January 2014, the applicant's atty responded:

"Applicant is the owner of U.S. Reg. Nos. X, Y and Z. The assignments regarding these registrations have been submitted to the Assignment division (concurrently with this filing). As such, Applicant respectfully requests that the Section 2(d) refusal be withdrawn." He also appears to have amended the application to add an additional class.

-------------------------------------------------------

Now to my questions...

What does the applicant's attorney mean by "The assignments regarding these registrations have been submitted to the Assignment division"?

Is he trying to have registrations re-assigned in a way that might circumvent the issues raised by the examiner? Can the examiner deny the request? And how long does it generally take before an examiner responds to something of this nature?

I volunteer my time to travel the region to provide information at no cost and no catch. I like to give back to local communities. So, there's no budget to file trademarks or wage legal battles. What are my options in a scenario such as this? I spent so much time and effort already on the content that I use, but the fact is I have not been using the phrase for years - just for a significant portion of 2013. I am at a loss of about what to do. Might I have to recreate all of the content without the phrase in it? Should I discontinue using it or not worry for the time being?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Your options are to oppose a registration, recreate your content, discontinue using what may be infringing or not worry for the time being.

If you have been using a slogan in your geographic area for longer than the other company has been using the slogan they wish to register, there is a good chance your use can continue, at least in your area. You can oppose any mark that is published in the Official Gazette. But if you have no budget to wage a legal battle, and the other company wishes to play tough, you may find yourself having to give up a slogan you otherwise could have rights to.

I suggest you review the particulars with an attorney in your area.

thank you

Thanks for the quick reply Quincy, I appreciate it.

Based on your response I think I will sit tight for the moment and see if the examiner allows publication for opposition. If that happens I'll start with opposition and go from there.

Thanks again!

quincy

Thanks for the quick reply Quincy, I appreciate it.

Based on your response I think I will sit tight for the moment and see if the examiner allows publication for opposition. If that happens I'll start with opposition and go from there.

Thanks again!
You're welcome, criticalthinker. I think sitting tight and waiting for publication in the Official Gazette is a reasonable choice to make.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">